Organ & Organists
The Cathedral Organ was built by William Hill and Son in 1886, and rebuilt by that firm in 1931, when it was placed in the present organ chamber. The console was moved to its present position in 1962. The organ was rebuilt again in 1973 by Percy Daniel & Co. Ltd., when the opportunity was taken to re-model the instrument, placing the newly-created Positive Organ in the space previously occupied by the console. The 1995 rebuild, also by Percy Daniel & Co. Ltd., completed the scheme started in 1973. Great care was taken to preserve the unique William Hill tone quality. In 2006, six new digital stops were added by Phoenix Organs.
* digital stops
Swell to Great
Swell to Positive
Positive to Great
Positive to Pedal
Swell to Pedal
Great to Pedal
Great and Pedal Combinations
6 adjustable thumb pistons to Great
5 adjustable thumb pistons to Positive
6 adjustable thumb pistons to Swell
6 adjustable toe pistons to Swell (duplicating)
6 adjustable toe pistons to Pedal
1 thumb reverser to Swell to Great
1 toe reverser Swell to Great
1 thumb reverser Great to Pedal
1 toe reverser Great to Pedal
1 thumb reverser Pedal Trombone
1 General Cancel thumb piston
8 General thumb pistons
Mark Duthie - Director of Music
Mark Duthie was born and educated in Aberdeen, and during his time at Aberdeen University was Assistant Organist at St Andrew’s Episcopal Cathedral in Aberdeen.
On graduating with First Class Honours in Pure Mathematics he went as a postgraduate student to Jesus College, Cambridge, where he sang in the Chapel Choir for two years. He was then Organ Scholar at Chester Cathedral prior to his appointment as Assistant Master of the Music at Peterborough Cathedral in 1994. During his time in Peterborough, he founded the Cathedral Girls’ Choir, which he directed in concerts, services and broadcasts.
Mark moved to Brecon in 2007 to become Organist and Master of the Choristers at Brecon Cathedral. He is an examiner for the Associated Board of the Royal Schools of Music, and has examined extensively in the UK, and in Hong Kong, Taiwan and Malaysia.
Stephen Power - Assistant Organist
Before coming to Brecon in 2014, Stephen Power was Organ Scholar at Gloucester Cathedral where his musical education began in 1988 as a chorister. He studied music at the University of Huddersfield and won a performance prize upon graduation. He then moved the short distance to Wakefield Cathedral where he was Organ Scholar, latterly Second Assistant Organist, followed by nine months working at Ripon Cathedral as acting Assistant Director of Music.
Stephen has also held singing posts in several cathedral choirs, most notably a three and a half year spell at Southwell Minster, and most recently, at Gloucester. He has given numerous organ recitals at Town and City Halls and at many larger churches and Cathedrals.
A four-month stint as Acting Assistant Organist at Gloucester has given rise to many high profile performance opportunities, including radio broadcasts, and the chance to work with the Bournemouth Symphony Orchestra in Britten’s War Requiem.
Email this Page